Georgia Tech aimed for Research Horizons to look and feel like the research it describes — bold and intriguing, and to compete with commercial magazines like Fast Company and Bloomberg Businessweek. After a redesign by Pentagram in 2014, the university needed an in-house designer who could see the bold vision through at the same level as the first issue. I was chosen to continue the design not only because I had many years of magazine design experience (including art directing illustration), but also a journalism background and a deep understanding of the flow of magazine production.
Research Horizons was published three times a year from 2014 to 2017. It won numerous awards for design, illustration, and overall magazine excellence. I art directed and designed each issue, and managed the process of visualizing stories by working with editors and writers to come up with ideas for art. I directed photo shoots, hired illustrators, laid out pages in InDesign, managed content in Google Sheets, and assisted with putting the content online at rh.gatech.edu.
- CASE Circle of Excellence, Bronze, Design: Periodicals, 2018
- CASE Circle of Excellence, Gold, Editorial Design, 2018
- CASE District III, Award of Excellence, Magazine III, 2017
- CASE District III, Award of Excellence, Periodical Design, 2017
- CASE District III, Award of Excellence, Editorial Design, 2017
- CASE Circle of Excellence, Magazine Publishing Improvement, 2015